Tuesday, July 23, 2013

a day at the beach

Sometimes I'm afraid of getting out and doing things. This is mostly because it's just easier to be lazy and stay at home. Being more willing to get out of my comfort zone is something that I'm constantly trying to remind myself to do.

My cousin is staying with my aunt this summer working an internship and I've been trying to take advantage of her being so close by doing things together. I've had her over a few times for meals and gave her a knitting lesson. Going to the beach came up once and I thought that it sounds like a great idea, but putting it into action was taking some time.

Last week I decided that I just needed to go for it and not do so much thinking. I made my list of things to bring and started making plans. We had the BEST time. It was a little windy on the day that we went, but the reincarnation of the dust bowl was worth it. I packed a few bags, a few coolers, and all the stuff for the dog. We talked, we drank, we "swam" (really just walking in and out of the water and sitting down on the beach), and we ate some sand.

My friend, Molly, came down to meet us and we had even more fun. I'm so glad that I got out of my head and made plans. I'll keep this experience as a good example of what can happen when I allow myself  to step out of my comfort zone.

Here's Gideon enjoying the beach:


And his great swimming skills:


(Please excuse my poor video taking skills. I had a better one where he swam from my cousin to me, but my phone didn't capture the data.)

No comments:

Post a Comment