Friday, June 1, 2012

adult bib

This morning it's raining again. Except today is the kind of annoying, spitting rain that doesn't really require an umbrella but manages to get you damp. This reminds me of that annoying habit each person has about their own self that they just can't stand. If you're like me that annoying habit can't be fixed, no matter what you try to do about it. For anyone who has eaten with me on a regular basis knows that I am a spill-er.

Last night I was out with my new city girlfriend, Molly. We had dinner at Trattoria 10. A nice little Italian place in the downtown area. The food was divine! Inevitably some of dinner managed to get on my white shirt. She said something along the lines of you spill on yourself every time we go out. I can't deny it. Just about everyday I spill one of my meals on my clothing. Makes it hard to wear a shirt twice or even walk around in public sometimes. Let's just say that I do a lot of laundry.

Over the years there have been many suggestions on how to conquer this "problem". My mother likes to remind me to sit up straight and eat over my plate. My dad is always telling me to slow down and use a napkin as a bib. Many, many friends have suggested that I get an adult bib. I have to admit the idea has merit and I'm surprised that no one has ever gotten me one as a gag gift. But there have been times where I consciously tried not to spill and used my napkin as a bib. Inescapably the food will find a way to my clothing, if I'm wearing a makeshift bib it will find the one spot that it is not covering and attach itself there. In some cases this can be very frustrating.

Spilling is the one thing that I have just learned to live with. At times it still annoys me, but it seems like no matter what I try and do it just continues to happen. So I carry a tide pen or wear a cardigan or try to blot it out. But what I can do better than most is get that stain out when I do the wash.

This is me on my birthday a few years ago. You can see the spill next to the birthday pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment